1. Balance the various “taxes” in your many spheres of life.
-We all inherit in the way of the eldest son.
2. In Christ, all God’s blessings are your inheritance.
Eph. 1:3-6; 1Pet. 1:3-5; Matt. 9:15
3. When they come to collect taxes, remember that you are free!
-No one has ultimate claim over your life.
4. Jesus is the temple—the place where God meets with his people.
The “freedom of the sons and daughters” is based on the coming of the new temple, Jesus himself.
John 2:19-21; 1:12-13
5. Limit offense so that the scandal you do give witnesses.
-Very often God requires us to aim at something in principle and then let him be the one in providence who weaves them all together.
-Jesus’ realm of authority extends everywhere, and he can find the monies necessary to pay his temple tax even from the depths of the sea!
6. Jesus’ authority in all places is what makes him the giver of gifts from all places.