1. Boasting in the cross comes from confidence in the words.
2. The gospel carries its own power.
Works-Righteousness: Human power or energy plays a role in the good news.
“I also saw, moreover, that it was not my good frame of heart that made my righteousness better, nor yet my bad frame that made my righteousness worse; for my righteousness was Jesus Christ himself, the same yesterday, to-day, and for ever.”; (Bunyan, Grace Abounding)
3. What do you want the power and energy for?
The Letter to Diognetus
4. What is practically to Jews first and Greeks second is ultimately to all.
The condition for the power of salvation is belief in Jesus Christ.
What is righteousness?
5. The faith that sees the righteousness of God at all increases.
The Roman Catholic Church understood that your righteousness did have to be yours, brought into your nature by various means.
The Reformation re-discovered that we were to receive an alien righteousness, in other words, a righteousness from another.