The paradox of the Lord’s call points to his different aim.
1. You must want to follow Jesus.
2. Jesus’ wanting you makes you want to follow Jesus.
Christians deny themselves because Jesus did first.
3. Trace problems to back to the heart and solutions up to God.
“All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone.” ― Blaise Pascal, Pensées
4a. Because our Lord set the example of sacrificing himself for his people, we will be willing to die for the sake of Christ.
4b. Because we are willing to die for the sake of Christ, we also are willing to do everything short of death for the sake of the gospel.
How can you tell when it is time to take up the cross?
5. Simply protecting your life cannot protect your life.
6. The best repair for a soul on earth is preparing it for heaven.
7. Though you must walk through humiliation to get to glory, that glory surely soon comes.