1. The death of Christ gave us the freedom of relationship in a better temple.
Lev. 16:1-6, 16-17
a. The temple and its curtain symbolize genuine but also limited and repeated access of sinners before a holy God.
b. The tearing of the curtain symbolizes the finished work of one sacrifice that truly expunges sin permanently, not simply covering it for a year.
2. Forgiveness of sins is a completed action, not only a promised future action.
3. We can boldly approach the throne of grace in prayer.
4. The former, temporary mode of the approach of sinners to a holy God revealed differences and divisions among peoples.
I did not open the way upward, God opened the way downward!
5. God will act as the Creator in a re-creative way.
6a. God’s people are preparing to tell the story of the good news.
6b. God’s enemies prepare to fill others ears with false news.
7. Resisting human schemes proves God’s purpose all the more clearly.