1 John 3:11-18
1. The righteousness of love displays New Birth.
2. The Christian message is and includes love from the beginning.
The gospel is new but it is also the fulfillment of the old.
John’s opponents seem to claim that the faithful teachers have a (1) new
message that is also (2) an unloving message.
Our model, our DNA: Jesus is motivated by love; Jesus’ actions are
undertaken with love; Jesus’ purpose is to love.
Love is the motivation, the principle of action, and the outcome of our
work in the gospel and our obedience to God.
The world's concept of love will betray you;
in fact, it will help you betray yourself.
John shows how doing evil deeds grows hate.
3. Loving proves life; not loving the brothers proves death.
4. You can know you are loving others if it is costing you your life.
Since the world can’t truly see the ultimate good that we have in mind
for the world, may the world at least see our self-sacrifice.
5. Christ showed us self-sacrificial love for the ultimate good of
Do not speak in a way that has no substance.
Jesus spoke and had the substance! Jesus went all the way to the cross
for us, so we should go all the way to the food bank, the clothes closet, or the front stoop for a brother or sister.
We need the words, and we need the deeds.