1 John 3:19-24
1. Learn the skill of reassurance.
The doctrine of assurance teaches the skill of reassurance.
1 John 3:19 unites knowledge and reassurance.
2. Look to the God greater than your heart.
1 John 3:19 covers assurance under the greatness of God.
How precious it is to know that we can bring the heart to its Maker!
3. Pursue a clean conscience and let God handle the confidence.
Sweet confidence and assurance is an indirect blessing that we can enjoy while we are pursuing Christ.
We cannot gain assurance by gazing upon the beauty of a clean heart
and thinking “Oh, how great is my heart!” We can gain assurance only
by gazing on the One greater than our heart.
C. H. Spurgeon: “I looked at Jesus, and a dove of peace flew into my heart; I looked at the dove, and it flew away.”
4. As we become more like Christ, our will, requests, and passions
become perfectly lined up with his.
Unity creates synergy.
Col. 1:29; Phil. 2:12-13; Ps. 37:3-4
5. Walking with the Spirit draws out what we ask and guarantees
what we receive.
The normal means of grace are the normal means of assurance.