1 John 3:4-10
What is your recipe for hope? (v. 1-3)
1. Law specifies sin (v. 4).
Saved children love to have sin specified so that it may be crucified.
The evil you cherish and the sin that you scheme, Jesus came to take from you.
2. Abide – but stay active.
The “house rules” of a wondrous designer are delightful.
3. Study God. Learn more about who he is in himself (6b.)
John highlights the fact that the engine in the Christian life, what is always
first in the Christian life is gazing upon, studying, and loving the living God.
In the Christian life meditating on and knowing God fuel any possibility
of truly righteous action.
4. Getting God’s word right on grace and good deeds is hard work.
He warns precisely because we can easily be deceived from teachings
concerning good deeds.
5. If you’ve made a practice of sinning, you will follow in the devil’s
6. Given all the necessary time and nourishment, what will your life
Through the one seed Jesus, the Lord has brought to himself a harvest
too great to count: us.
7. Child of God, practice righteousness and love your brothers and